Wednesday 8th April 2020
Welcome to
A-Z of services
Text size

Travel assistance

Sub heading


​​All children between the ages of 5 and 16 may qualify for free school travel assistance if they go to their nearest suitable school and live at least:

  • 2 miles from the school, if they are under the age of 8 years old
  • 3 miles from the school, if they are 8 years old or older

If you get the maximum Working Tax Credit or your children are entitled to free school meals, they may get free travel assistance.

Children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND): Your child may be entitled to travel assistance if they cannot walk to school / college / education provision because of their SEND or mobility problem.

*Attendance at a special school or a learning resource base does not automatically entitle your child to travel assistance.

Luton Council travel assistance policies:

To apply for travel assistance for children/students with Special Educational Needs (SEN) / Education, Health & Care Plan (EHCP) and/or Disability, this ar​ea will direct you to the Council's application form:

To apply for travel assistance, please complete the online application form. If you experience any difficulty completing the form online, you can download a copy and scan to [email protected] - or post (with supporting documentation) to:

Travel Assistance Team,
Luton Council,
3rd Floor Arndale House,
37 The Mall,
Luton LU1 2LJ

Please write 'private and confidential' o​n your envelopes for the Travel Assistance Team, as the contents are personal and sensitive.


Apply for SEN travel assistance​​​





Contact us
rating button