Saturday 30th May 2020
Welcome to
A-Z of services
Text size

Special educational needs transport

Sub heading


We provide transport solutions for SEN pupils and students in Luton

Children with special needs and/or disabilities are subject to the home to school transport policy.

We apply the same guidelines when considering whether children with special needs and/or disabilities require transport as we do for other children and in the majority of cases children with special educational needs are treated in the same way as other children. However, when a child’s special needs and/or disabilities means that they cannot travel to school in the same way as other children of the same age, we may help the family make travel arrangements if this is necessary.

Some children with SEN and/or a disability may, by reason of their SEN and/or disability, be unable to walk even relatively short distances to school. We will make suitable travel arrangements, if necessary, for these children even if they attend school within the statutory walking distance.

If transport is necessary, due to the child’s needs, we will arrange transport that meets the needs of the child. In making this decision we will take into consideration, the nature of the child’s needs, his/her level of mobility, how vulnerable the child is and how far he/she travels.

To enquire whether your child is entitled to transport, please contact: Travel Assessment Team, 01582 548227.​


To apply for travel assistance for children/students with Special Educational Needs (SEN) / Education, Health & Care Plan (EHCP) and/or Disability, click on the button below, this ar​ea will direct you to the Council's application form:

Apply for SEN travel assistance​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​


 Contact information

Passenger transport unit
Central Depot, Kingsway, Luton, Beds, LU4 8AU
Tel: 01582 547219
Fax: 01582 547351
Contact us
rating button