Thursday 25th April 2019
Welcome to
A-Z of services
Text size
Betty Dodd Court

Sheltered housing is purpose built accommodation with an alarm system linked to a control centre. Each property is self contained, so you have the freedom and privacy of your own front door, and the use of additional communal facilities.

It enables you to live independently and feel secure knowing that there is help when you need it.

Facilities include:
  • a 24 hour emergency alarm system linked to a control centre
  • a variety of social activities that you can choose to join in
  • a social area
  • communal gardens

Some schemes also have hair dressing facilities, a laundry room, and a guest room.

I am interested in living in sheltered housing

Sheltered housing is generally for people over 60, although if you are younger you will be considered if you have a disability or if you need additional assistance at home to live independently. Priority is given to applicants who would most benefit from this type of accommodation.

If you want to move to sheltered housing please follow this link to find out how to apply to go on to the housing register.

We will assess your application and give you a ‘banding’ which will determine which type of properties you can apply for. Once you have been accepted onto the register you will be issued with a user ID and PIN number, and you will then be able to bid for advertised properties within your banding which you are eligible for. Follow this link for guidance on how to bid for council and housing association homes.

If you would like further advice speak to us on the contact details below.

Sheltered housing with ‘extra care’ for people with additional needs

Some sheltered housing schemes are designed for people who need more support and still want to live independently. These are known as ‘extra care sheltered housing’. The schemes have the same facilities as sheltered housing, with the addition of carers on site 24 hours a day and a resident sheltered housing officer. This means you would still have your own self contained home and you would also have help at hand if you need it. The care provided includes things like assistance if you fall or help going to the toilet. It doesn’t include things like help with shopping or cooking meals, although you may be eligible for help with this through our support services.
If you think you might need ‘extra care’ you will need to have an assessment of care needs from our adult social care team. You may qualify for help you in other ways too. Follow this link to find out how to get an assessment of care needs.

I’d like to stay where I live now but I’m worried that I may need help in an emergency

We can help with a range of home and personal alarm systems to help you to continue to live independently in your own home. Knowing you can call for help quickly and easily can provide peace of mind, particularly if you are elderly or have a disability. It can also help carers, friends and family to feel reassured that you are safe.
If you want to find out more follow this link to home and personal alarm systems.

 Contact information

Housing allocations
Luton Borough Council, Town Hall, George Street, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 2BQ
Tel: 01582 546646
Contact us