Saturday 30th May 2020
Welcome to
A-Z of services
Text size

Council tenancies and transfers

Sub heading

Apply for a transfer of accommodation

If you live in a council home in Luton and need to move, you can apply to us for a transfer of accommodation.

Expand this tab to find out more about applying for a transfer, and to apply.

How we allocate homes

We prioritise applications from tenants:

  • whose homes are too large or small for their needs
  • who need to move because of ill health or disability

But a shortage of council and housing association homes means we won’t be able to help everybody who applies.

This means you should consider all other housing options available, including the possibility of a mutual exchange with another council or housing association tenant.

Our housing allocations policy tells you more about how housing decisions are made.

Read the housing allocations policy

Application and medical forms

If you need to move because of an emergency situation then you should contact your housing officer immediately.

All other tenants wishing to apply for a transfer will need to:

  • complete an application formavailable
    • from our Customer Services Centre at the Town Hall
    • from your Housing Officer
    • by calling 01582 546646
  • provide evidence to support your application – see ‘before you start'.

If you have a medical condition or disability that means your current home is unsuitable for your needs and/or will affect the type of property you need to move to, you’ll also need to complete a medical form (hyperlink).

Separate medical forms should be completed for each member of your household suffering with a medical condition or disability that impacts upon their housing need.

If you can’t print these forms, hard copies are available from our customer services centre at the Town Hall.

When we receive your completed application form we’ll carry out an assessment, including a home visit.

Our decision

We’ll write to let you know where your application sits on the priority list, as well as telling you how to bid for vacant council or housing association homes.

If you’re unhappy about the decision we make, you have the right to ask us to review it. (hyperlink to factsheet)

Before you start

Please note that your application cannot be processed unless you provide the following documentary evidence (NB. please do not send original documents through the post):

For the main applicant and, where applicable, joint applicant:
  • passports or driving Licence
  • proof of your National Insurance number such as your National Insurance number card,
  • payslips or P45/P60, benefit award letters or books
  • two passport sized photographs with your name on reverse
About children:
  • copies of all birth certificates
  • Child Benefit notification letter
  • CSA maintenance notice, where applicable
About your household’s income - the following are required for all family members, where applicable:
  • proof of all state benefits received, including Tax Credits
  • confirmation of earnings, where applicable (this can be your last two payslips if you are paid monthly, or last four if weekly/fortnightly; alternatively a copy of the contract of employment)
  • evidence of any other income
About your household’s savings and investments - for all family members, where applicable:
  • bank/building society statements or passbooks (showing two month’s transactions)
  • share certificates
    premium bonds
  • national savings certificates
    ISA/PEP/TESSA statements
    redundancy notice
  • solicitors letters regarding proof of inheritance/sale of property

Back to top

Apply for a council home

There’s a limited supply of council and housing association homes in Luton and this means that most people who join the register won’t receive an offer of housing. Unfortunately, even those with the greatest need could be waiting several years before being offered a home.

To see whether you’re likely be offered housing in Luton, use our self assessment tool.

If you already live in a council or housing association home in Luton, you can apply for a transfer or exchange (see above).

Our housing allocations policy, tells you more about how housing decisions are made.

Back to top


Bidding for vacant council and housing association homes

To be considered for available council or housing association properties you must be on our housing register, or on our transfer list if you’re already a tenant (see above).

Expand this tab for more information on bidding for homes.



Back to top


Join the housing register

Anyone over the age of 18 can join the housing register unless:

  • you're subject to immigration control - this means that you aren't entitled to public funds such as benefits, tax credits and/or housing assistance because of your immigration status
  • you or anyone in your household has been found guilty of unacceptable behaviour serious enough to make you or them unsuitable to be a council tenant

Expand this tab to find out more about joinign the housing register.


What is unacceptable behaviour?

Unacceptable behaviour is where an applicant, or a member of the applicant’s household, has carried out an act that makes them unsuitable to be a tenant of the council or a housing association.

Expand this tab to find out what acts makes you unsuitable to be a tenant of the council or a housing association.



Back to top

Contact us
rating button