Friday 24th May 2019
Welcome to
A-Z of services
Text size

How to apply for a council home

Sub heading

Terraced housing

This page tells you everything you need to know about applying for a council home, from joining the housing register to the documents you require.

Who is eligible to apply for a council house?

Anyone over the age of 18 can apply to join the housing register. However, you may not be eligible if:
  • you have been guilty of unacceptable behaviour serious enough to make you unsuitable to be a tenant
  • you are subject to immigration control under the asylum and immigration legislation

How can I apply for a council house?

To join the housing register you will need to come to our customer service centre at the Town Hall, LU1 2BQ so that we can help you with your application to join the register. If you have any additional care or support needs, please let us know at during your meeting with us.
We will assess your application, which usually takes about one hour. You must bring the documents listed below. If you don’t, we cannot process your claim.

Please note: you do need to secure an appointment; these are issued on the following days Monday, Wednesday and Friday only. Appointments cannot be booked in advance and will only be issued on the day on a first come first basis.

Main applicant and, where applicable, joint applicant:
  • passports or driving licence
  • proof of national insurance number (eg NI paycard, payslip, P45, P60, benefit award letters or books
  • recent utility bill in your name(s)
  • home office letters confirming your immigration status, where appropriate
  • two passport size photos with your name on the back
  • birth certificate copies
  • child benefit notification letter
  • child support agency maintenance notice, where applicable
About your household’s income (for all family members where applicable):
  • proof of all state benefits received, including tax credits
  • confirmation of earnings, where applicable (eg two last payslips if paid monthly; last four if paid weekly or fortnightly; copy of employment contract)
  • evidence of other income
About your current accommodation:
  • copy of tenancy agreement, including evidence of tenancy deposit protection scheme or mortgage statements
  • copy of rent statements/rent book
About your household’s savings and investments (for all family members, where applicable):
  • bank/building society statements or passbooks (showing two month’s transactions)
  • share certificates
  • premium bonds
  • national savings certificates
  • statements
  • redundancy notice
  • solicitors’ letters regarding proof of inheritance/sale of property
If your housing application is successful, we will then explain how to use our online allocations system.



 Contact information

Customer Service Centre - Housing needs
Town Hall,, Luton, LU1 2BQ
Tel: 01582 547304
Contact us