Tuesday 22nd October 2019
Welcome to Luton.gov.uk
A-Z of services
Text size

Council licensees in temporary accommodation

Sub heading


If you have nowhere to live and you come to us for help, we may offer you temporary accommodation whilst we assess whether you are eligible for re-housing.

Your temporary home may be in a bed and breakfast, in privately rented accommodation, or in one of our own properties. This may not be in your local area.
If we offer you this, you will need to sign an agreement known as a ‘licence’ and you will become the ‘licensee’.

Bed and breakfast accommodation

This is for a very short term and is usually offered in an emergency.
You must move in and live there as your only place of residence, or we will end the agreement and we will no longer have a duty to help you. No-one else except people listed with us as part of your household can stay there with you. You must not cause any nuisance or damage or take anything from there that does not belong to you.
Sometimes, if we need longer to assess your case, we will offer you further temporary accommodation.

Other temporary accommodation

This is usually in privately rented accommodation, and we have arrangements with a number of letting agents. On occasions we use our own properties.
This accommodation is for a temporary period whilst we assess you case, after which it may, or may not, be offered to you as your permanent home.
Beds, a cooker, a fridge and flooring such as carpets will be provided and will be of a reasonable standard. Additional furniture may be in the property at the landlord’s discretion.
You must not change, remove or damage any fixtures and fittings and you cannot redecorate the property.
No one else except people listed on your household can stay there with you and you are not allowed to keep pets of any kind. You must return the keys to us when you leave the property.

Your licence agreement

You will be given a copy of your licence agreement, and must keep to the terms, which include paying the charges, not causing nuisance or anti-social behaviour and living in the accommodation.
If you don’t keep to the agreement we can take action to remove you from the property, and we will no longer have a duty to help you. We can do this without the need for court action, although if this does become necessary, you will also have to pay the court costs.

Help with the charges

There is a weekly charge for living in temporary accommodation. You will be able to apply for Housing Benefit when you attend your appointment to sign your licence agreement.
If you feel you are in danger of becoming homeless, please contact us using the details below.

 Contact information

Housing Solutions team
Luton Council, Town Hall, George Street, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 2BQ
Tel: 01582 510370
Contact us