Monday 17th February 2020
Welcome to
A-Z of services
Text size
Housing - HMO

If you are a landlord or someone who owns or manages a house in multiple occupation (HMO), you have a responsibility to maintain certain standards at the property.

You must ensure that:
  • the property is kept in good repair - we assess the condition of housing with reference to the Housing Health & Safety Rating System (download a guide below)
  • there is an adequate number of amenities, eg toilets, bathrooms, cooking facilities etc - download ‘amenity standards’ to view minimum requirements
  • there are adequate fire precautions, eg fire doors, smoke detectors, alarms etc - download the ‘guide to fire safety standards for residential properties in Bedfordshire’ to view minimum requirements
  • the property is a suitable size and layout for the number of people or occupants living there - download ‘amenity standards’ below to view minimum requirements
  • common parts of the property, eg staircase, shared lounge, fire escapes fixtures and fittings etc, are kept in good order - view the minimum requirements by downloading 'management regulations' below

Do I need a licence?

You will need a HMO licence if the property you rent out has:
  • five or more persons forming two or more households and
  • the occupants share amenities, such as bathrooms or kitchens
If you operate an HMO and have not applied for a licence, you run the risk of prosecution. Operating an HMO without the proper licence is a criminal offence and carries an unlimited fine on summary conviction. In addition, tenants will be able to claim back a year’s worth of rent from you.
For further information download the HMO licensing Q&A document below.

To apply for a licence

To apply for a first time licence, apply for a renewal of an existing licence, or to make a change to an existing licence, use the button below​

You can also submit a paper application although there is an additional non-refundable fee (see fee structure for more information)

Contact us on the number below if you need further advice, including to check if you need this licence or to receive a paper application.

You can now pay HMO related fees using the 'pay now' button below, including:
  • service of notice
  • works in default
  • HMO licence
  • HMO licence paper application

Pay now​​​​






 Contact information

Private sector housing enforcement
Private Sector Housing Enforcement
1st Floor Annexe
Town Hall, Luton, LU1 2BQ
Contact us
rating button