Thursday 21st March 2019
Welcome to
A-Z of services
Text size

Building control - the basics

Sub heading

Building regulations are about the health and safety of people in and around buildings. We make sure they are built safely, meet energy conservation requirements and are suitable for the people using them.

On this page ...


What is building control

All building work carried out should meet current building codes and regulation requirements. Our building control service ensures that buildings are designed and constructed in accordance with the building regulations and associated legislation.

Please note: It is the responsibility of those carrying out the work to ensure that the provisions of the regulations are fully met. The role of building control is only to check that they do so.

It is the responsibility of those carrying out the work to ensure that the provisions of the regulations are fully met. The role of building control is only to check that they do so.

Ten essential functions of building control

What is the difference between planning and building control?

Party Wall Act

The council is not involved in the Party Wall Act; this will be carried out by surveyors appointed by the person carrying out the work, or by each owner affected. Further information can be found here.

The council does not get involved in boundary disputes. Encroachment of a building including drainage, gutters, foundations etc. is not a Building Regulation matter and is not grounds for enforcement or rejection on plan or on site.


Back to top

Is building regulation approval required?

Building regulations approval

It is not always easy to determine whether building regulations approval is required for works that you are considering carrying out to your property.

Examples of work that will require building regulations approval:

  • building, extending or structurally altering a house or flat
  • changing the use of buildings to other uses
  • any work affecting means of escape or fire safety in a house or flat
  • replacing a heat producing appliance (boiler or wood burning stove for example)
  • adding to or altering certain electrics in a house, flat or building linked to a house or flat
  • renovation of external walls, roofs, ground bearing floors
  • replacement windows
  • loft conversions
  • new drainage or plumbing
  • installing a new bathroom, kitchen, or utility room (unless it is a re-fit of an existing bathroom, kitchen or utility room)
  • alterations to a chimney or flue
  • building, extending or structurally altering an office or commercial building
  • internal fit-out of an office or commercial building, where means of escape could be affected

If your project is not listed here, please contact building control for advice.

For these and many other types of works, you will need to make a building regulations application.

Work that may not require building regulations approval

In some cases you may use a Registered Competent Person from a recognised scheme in lieu of making a building regulations application. Examples include:

  • replacement of a roof covering
  • replacement windows and doors
  • injection of cavity wall insulation
  • installation of an air conditioning or ventilation system
  • installation of a boiler or other heat producing appliance
  • a new circuit or alterations to a domestic electrical system
  • installation of a micro generation system, for example, a wind turbine or solar panels

Work exempt from building regulations approval

In addition to competent person schemes, some works are specifically exempt from the building regulations, subject to certain criteria. Visit exemptions for more information on works not requiring building regulations approval.

Simple visual guide for house holders

You may wish to view a simple visual guide for householders using the planning portal . This outlines common household projects.

If you are uncertain about whether or not work that you are proposing to carry out requires building regulations approval, please contact building control.

Competent persons schemes

Certain works such as electrical alterations, installation of gas, solid fuel or oil appliances and ventilation systems can be self certified by a competent person, provided that person is registered on one of the many government approved schemes. A full list of the current competent person schemes can be found by using the contacts table (GOV.UK)

You can use a competent person either simply for the work that they are authorised to carry out, or as part of a large scheme such as the electrical works in an extension.


The following list includes examples of commonly occurring work that is exempt from the procedural requirements of the building regulations, and therefore does not need a building regulations application.

Buildings not frequented by people

Greenhouses and agricultural buildings

Temporary buildings

Ancillary buildings

Small detached buildings

Covered yard or way

Car ports



Demolition notice

Back to top

How do I apply for building regulations?

Although we do accept paper application we prefer for you to submit your application on line so we can use and communicate through the application processing software. You can do this through one of the methods below :

  • online:  submit a plan
  • submit a building control application by email
  • post:
      Building Control
      Town Hall
      George Street
      LU1 2BQ

What application do I need to submit?

There are two methods of obtaining approval for building regulations:

Full plans

Building notice

Forgot to make an application- Regularisation Certificate

The lack of a completion certificate can affect your ability to use or sell a property. It may also affect your insurance and may put you at risk of legal action. However, if you have carried out work without a Building Regulations application you can apply to your local authority for a Regularisation Certificate.

Regularisation applications (applied to work carried out after 11 November 1985) can be a lengthy process, especially if extensive work is required to bring a building back up to standard. A Regularisation application must be made to the local authority where the work was carried out. You will need to provide full details and plans showing the work that was carried out along with payment of the relevant charge.

Once this information has been provided you may be required to open up and uncover the work so that it can be inspected and checked by the building control surveyor. Provided that the work is satisfactory a Regularisation Certificate will be issued.

Back to top

Why use Luton building control - our team

Local authority building control and approved inspectors

Everyone knows that it is important to choose the right builder to carry out work on your property. It is equally important that you are careful in your choice of building control service provider.

Building control services are now available from two sources:

  • Local Authority Building Control (LABC) - the traditional and long established route
  • Approved Inspectors - companies operating private sector businesses and licensed by the government to offer a building control service

There are some differences between the level of service you will receive.

So why choose local authority building control?

We are determined to provide you with the very best service in building control. Whether you are a large developer undertaking a multi-million pound project or a homeowner carrying out alterations to your home, we are totally committed to assisting you in any way we can.

We recognise that all our customers have different needs and it will not be possible to satisfy all of these via a visit to this site. However, to make your Building Control experience as simple and easy as possible we will continually update and improve these pages to assist you.

Pre-application service

Application process

Site inspection service

Building control performance standards

Quality Assured Service

Discretionary services


Our team

Our team of building control surveyors are professional, qualified, and experienced. Their contact details are as follows:

  • Tim Parrett
    Service Manager – Interim
    Tel: 07595 318780
  • Manoj Dave 
    Building Control Team Manager
    Tel: 07825 935759
  • Danny Anderson
    Area Building Control Surveyor
    Tel: 07920 086788
  • Ashley Segrue
    Area Building Control Surveyor
    Tel: 07928 573752
  • Joshua Elvin
    Area Building Control Surveyor
    Tel: 07824 409675

Additional contact information:


Back to top

How we charge

Building control fees

Luton building regulation fees are non-profit making and are only set to recover the cost of the service being provided.

Where possible we use standard charges for domestic projects which are detailed below. However, we often have to provide a bespoke quote due to complexity of design or because there is more than one element being constructed; for example, two extensions or an extension and a loft conversion.

Detailed information of what is and what is not covered in our service is contained in the terms and conditions.

Fees helpline

If you cannot find the answer to your question below and require any help regarding fees, please contact the building control office on 015842 546530, or email building control who will be happy to assist you.

Standard charges

There are standard charges for:

  • garages
  • extensions
  • loft conversions
  • alterations
  • certain non-domestic work

These are detailed in the fees guides. However, please note that we offer bespoke quotations on request. Please contact the office direct:

    T: 01582 546607
    E:[email protected]

Download standard charges as from the 1 October 2018.  See the building control fees.

New housing and flats

A standard charge for a single house up to 300m² is included in standard charges below. For projects of more than one dwelling or flats, please contact the office for a bespoke quotation.

What do the charges cover

Plans charge

Inspection charge

Idividually determined charges

Standard changes for gas or domestic electrical installations

Regularisation application fees

Re-submission of a previous applications

Amendments to plans or on site

Work exempt from fees

Methods of payment accepted for building regulation applications

  1. credit/debit card at the council offices or online at Luton building control fees
  2. cheque - you can pay by cheque made payable to Luton Borough Council
  3. cash is accepted via the scan coin machines located at the Town Hall reception
  4. by phone on 01582 546530
  5. BACS transfer - details upon written request (including email)


Terms and conditions

See scheme of charges and building control fees.


Back to top

Frequently asked questions

How do I find a building control application?

What will happen if I do not comply with the building regulations?

How do I meet the requirements of the building regulations?

What application do I need to submit?

How do I apply for building regulations?

How do I choose a builder?

What is an exempt building?


Back to top


Contact us