Friday 17th November 2017
Welcome to
A-Z of services
Text size

Council tax bands

Sub heading

Council tax bands


​Follow this link to find out your council tax band.

You pay council tax for any property you live in, as well as unoccupied properties. Every property is allocated a band A-H which is based on its value at April 1991. The thresholds of these bands and the current council tax for the 2017/2018 financial year are:

​Property band Capital values as at 1 April 1991​ (£) Council tax​ (£)

(with disabled relief)

0 - 40,000​

​A ​0 - 40,000 1,076.59
​B ​40,001 - 52,000 1,256.02
​C ​52,001 - 68,000 1,435.46
​D ​68,001 - 88,000 1,614.88
​E ​88,001 - 120,000 1,973.74
​F ​120,001 - 160,000 2,332.61
​G ​160,000 - 320,000 2,691.47
​H ​over 320,000 3,229.76​

Who has to pay council tax?

Follow the list down and as soon as you reach a description that applies to a member in your household, then they will be the person liable to pay council tax.

  • resident freeholder
  • resident leaseholder
  • resident statutory or secure tenant
  • resident licensee
  • resident
  • owner (where the property has no residents)

A resident is a person who is 18 years of age or over, occupying the dwelling as their main or only home.

All the people in the household that fall into the same category are responsible for paying the council tax, for example joint tenants. Partners whether married or not are also liable even if they do not have the same interest in the property.

There are cases when the landlord is always liable:

  • housing in multiple occupation (HMOs) - if the dwelling is in multiple occupation, eg a hostel or a group of bedsits where the residents pay the landlord separately for different parts of the property
  • residential care homes, nursing homes, mental nursing homes or certain types of hostels providing a high level of care
  • religious communities such as monasteries or convents
  • a dwelling which is not the owner's home but which is the main home of someone the owner employs in domestic service
  • vicarages or other dwellings where a minister of religion lives and works (where the owner-occupier is a Church of England minister of religion, the church is responsible for the bill)
  • dwellings occupied only by asylum seekers who have been housed by Social Services.
Contact us