Wednesday 15th July 2020
Welcome to
A-Z of services
Text size
Abandoned car

Operators who dismantle vehicles to salvage the parts, will need to register their business with the local council.

A person is a motor salvage operator if they:
  • recover for reuse or sale, in whole or in part, salvageable parts from motor vehicles and sell or otherwise dispose of the rest of the vehicle
  • mainly or wholly buy written-off vehicles and repair and resale the same vehicle
  • mainly or wholly sell or buy motor vehicles that are to be subject to any of the two activities above
  • carry out activities that fall under the latter two points above
The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 has replaced The Vehicles Crime Act 2001 and the Motor Salvage Operators Regulations 2002 so you will need to apply for a scrap metal dealers licence.



 Contact information

Private sector housing enforcement
1st Floor Annexe, Town Hall, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 2BQ
Tel: 01582 546040
Contact us
rating button