Tuesday 22nd October 2019
Welcome to Luton.gov.uk
A-Z of services
Text size
Sun shining through woodland

The welfare of all domestic and captive animals in this country is provided for in various statutes we are responsible for the administration and issuing of a number of licenses relating to animals

Relevant legislation: Riding Establishments Act 1964 and 1970 as amended by the Animal Welfare Act 2006

Introduction to this licence
Proprietors of riding establishments must apply annually to the local authority for a licence. Licences to keep a riding establishment in the area are issued by us under the Riding Establishments Acts 1964 and 1970, as amended by the Animal Welfare Act 2006.

The legislation is designed to ensure the welfare of the animals and the suitability of their accommodation. The acts also help to ensure rider safety however safety is predominantly under other legislation enforced by us.

This licensing requirement does not apply to livery stables (the stabling or keeping of horses for money), which do not require any form of license and, do not have to be regularly checked.

Advice for the public
If either you or your children wish to take up riding lessons, you should ask the riding school for a copy of their licence. This helps ensure that you and/or your child receives riding lessons from a properly trained and experienced instructor.

You will also be assured that the riding establishment has adequate liability insurance to cover you and/or your child. If you have any concerns about the operation of a riding school please contact us. You can view the animal welfare licenses in the downloads section below.

Do I need a licence?
If someone hires out horses or donkeys or provide a riding school service, they will require a licence. This includes livery yards providing horse riding lessons to owners of their own horses on the livery yard premises.

Licences are renewable annually on the basis that the riding establishment is operating to a satisfactory level.

What are the conditions of the licence?
The conditions of this licence can be viewed by downloading the document at the bottom of this page.

How do I make an application and how much does it cost?
Apply for a licence to operate a riding establishment. View our licensing fees document below to see how much an application cost, these are subject to annual review.

Tell us about a change to your existing riding establishment licence

An online version of the Riding Establishments Act 1964 can be found by clicking the link below:
Office of Public Sector Information - Riding Establishments Act 1964

You are advised to consider the following;

  • will the activity require planning permission?
  • can you comply with the licence conditions?an you comply with the licence conditions?

What information or evidence will I need to provide?
Any information required to progress your application will be requested by the relevant application form itself including living arrangements, emergency arrangements, and particulars of the horses.

However, dependent on the findings of the inspection by us or veterinary surgeons, further information or clarification may be requested prior to granting a licence or registration.

Are there/inspections or assessments?
Inspections are made by our officers and veterinary surgeons to ensure that the welfare and safety of both horses and riders is adequate. If a riding establishment is unlicensed then we will be unaware of any inadequacies or risks that may be present, and therefore unable to remedy them.

How long will it take you to process my application?
Due to our inspections and those by veterinary surgeons, we say that applications can take up to 28 days to process, ie from receipt of the application to grant of licence or registration.

To see what tacit authorisation is and find out if it applies to your application click on the download below.

If I’m turned down, how do I appeal?
Any person aggrieved by our refusal to grant such a licence, or by any condition subject to which such a licence is proposed to be granted, may appeal to a Magistrates Court within six months. On such an occurrence the applicant will be advised how to do this when they receive written refusal of the licence.

How long does the licence last, and what’s the renewal procedure?
Licences continue for one year beginning on the day on which they came into force and then expire on the 31 December. New applications can request licences to start from 1 January although a provisional licence will be required. Applications to renew a licence are expected to be received 28 days prior to the expiry of the existing licence.




 Contact information

Licensing service
Luton Borough Council, Town Hall, George Street, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 2BQ
Tel: 01582 546040

 Related links

Contact us