Thursday 18th July 2019
Welcome to
A-Z of services
Text size

Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction

Sub heading

Universal Credit

From 21 November 2018, if you're of working age and are a resident in Luton, you'll no longer be eligible to claim Housing Benefit. Instead you'll have to claim Universal Credit.

However, you must claim Housing Benefit from us instead of Universal Credit if you:

  • live in supported accommodation - this is generally hostels or exempt accommodation
  • live in temporary accommodation
  • are of pension credit age

If you need help with your Council Tax, you will still need to claim Council Tax Reduction from us.

Before you start your online claim with us

  1. Register – if you aren't already registered, you need to sign up to Luton MyAccount​ before making your application.
  2. Prepare documents – you'll need to upload evidence to prove things like earnings and rent or mortgage payments. You'll see a personalised list of the evidence we need at the end of your application. Please take a note of  the evidence you need to provide in order to complete your claim.​ Find out more about the types of documents we accept here.
  3. You MUST bring original proof of your identity into the customer service centre. 

Please note – we cannot process your claim until you have uploaded your documents and proved your identity.

Apply now

You should upload supporting documents with your form, including scanned copies or photographs, to enable your claim to be assessed and payment made as soon as possible.

Please note that the maximum document size you can upload is 2MB. If you have any file(s) larger than this, visit our electronic document guidance page for advice on how to reduce it.

Upload documents

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​General enquiry form
Contact us