Friday 30th January 2015
Welcome to
A-Z of services
Text size

Marriage - arrangement and ceremony

Sub heading

Register office sign

If you wish to marry in England or Wales you may do so either by civil or religious ceremony.

A civil marriage ceremony can take place in a Register Office or at an “approved venue”, ie premises approved by the local authority for marriages and civil partnerships (for example, a hotel or stately home) anywhere in England and Wales.

If you wish to marry at an approved venue or a register office outside Luton, please check with the Register Office or approved venue in question for availability and fees.

Whether you intend to get married in a Register Office or at an approved venue you must first both give a notice of marriage at the Register Office in the district in which you both live and you must have resided in that district for at least 7 clear days prior to giving notice. If you both live in the same district, you should both attend your local Register Office together.  You will need to make an appointment to give notice of marriage at Luton register office.

After giving notice you must wait 15 clear days before your marriage can take place.

A notice of marriage is valid for 12 months and you cannot, therefore, give notice more than 12 months before the date of your marriage. However, you may be able to make an advance (provisional) booking.

Documentation Required for European Union members
Valid passports (if passport expired, passport and birth certificate)

If you were born in Britain before Jan 1983 a full birth certificate will be accepted as proof of nationality. In addition you will need a 2nd proof of date of birth, eg full (not provisional) driving licence, medical card, payslip or other document.

If you were born in Britain after Jan 1983 and do not have a current British passport, a full birth certificate and your parents' birth certificates will be required. In addition you will need a 2nd proof of date of birth, eg full (not provisional) driving licence, medical card, payslip or other document.

You will also need to provide 2 proofs of address each, eg bank/credit card statement, utility bill, council tax bill

If either of you have been married, or through a civil partnership before, either in this country or abroad, you will need to produce evidence that the previous marriage/civil partnership has ended. If you are divorced and your divorce was in England or Wales the document required is a court-stamped Decree Absolute. If the divorce was elsewhere, you must produce the original document issued by that country and, if necessary, a translation. The same applies for the final order of dissolution of a civil partnership. If you were divorced in a foreign country your decree absolute may have to be submitted to the General Register Office for clearance. For further information please speak to the Registration Officer.

If you are widowed or your former civil partner is deceased, you will need to provide a death certificate. If you have changed your name legally please bring the legal document with you.

The Registration Officer will advise you which documents are required, depending on your own circumstances. Please be aware that photocopies will not be acceptable. You cannot be married unless you have completed your legal preliminaries.

Religious Marriages
A religious ceremony can take place at a church or chapel of the Church of England or at any other place of worship which has been formally registered by the Registrar General for marriages.

If you wish to be married in a Church of England and generally you will be able to do so only if you or your partner live in the parish (or in some cases if it is your usual place of worship) - you should first speak to the Vicar. He or she will advise you on the necessary requirements. It is not necessary to give notice at a Register Office if you are being married in a Church of England church.

If you wish to marry by religious ceremony other than in the Church of England, you should first arrange to see the minister, priest or other person in charge of marriages at the building. However the church or religious building in question must normally be in the registration district where you or your partner live, or your usual place of worship. It will also be necessary for both of you to give formal notice of marriage at the Register Office for the district in which you both live. A Registration Officer may also need to attend the ceremony if there is no person at the premises authorised to perform marriage ceremonies.

Foreign Nationals
All foreign nationals other than citizens of the European Economic Area (the EEA consists of the European Union plus Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein) or Switzerland must provide a current valid passport. There are other qualifying criteria and you would need to speak to a Registration Officer to clarify this. You will also have to give notice of marriage at a Designated Register Office. Luton Register Office is a Designated Register Office and you may give your notice at this office even if you live in another district, providing you have resided in that district for 7 clear days prior to giving notice.

Luton Registration Service Marriages and Fees

Luton Register Office
You may marry at Luton Register Office on Thursdays only at 10.00am. You will be offered a simple short legal ceremony, held in a working office. You will have the option of choosing your declarations, exchanging rings and a choice of ring words. This ceremony is for the bride and groom and a limited number of guests only.

The Registration Officer will see you both in private to check the information to be entered into the marriage register.

You will be asked for the following information:

  • your full name, age, occupation, marital status and address
  • the full name and occupation of your natural, adoptive or step- father

This is also the time when the fee for the ceremony is paid.

You are required by law to provide two witnesses to your marriage. They may be relatives, friends or colleagues and they must be able to understand and speak English and understand the meaning of the ceremony. Afterwards they will be asked to sign the register.

Extra copies of marriage certificates

Follow this link to get additional copies of a marriage certificate.

Please note if applying online
When you have submitted your request you will be issued with a reference number which you will need to copy and use when you make your payment.

The Georgian Room
You may have up to 26 guests on Monday to Friday and up to 40 guests on Saturday.
You will be offered a wider choice of ceremony, which includes:

  • choice of declarations and contracting words
  • choice of ring words and the option to write your own
  • bring your own choice of music (non religious)
  • readings
  • any other additional requirements, please discuss with the Registration Officer when giving notice.

Alternatively you may wish to have a very short and simple ceremony - the choice is yours.

The Georgian Room Annexe
You may marry in the Georgian Room Annexe on Mondays to Thursdays only.  

You will be offered a simple short legal ceremony and may have up to 14 guests. You will have the option of choosing your declarations, exchanging rings and a choice of ring words.

The Registration Officer will discuss all of your requirements at the time of giving notice. Alternatively you may contact the office to discuss before making an appointment.

Fees (cash or cards only)

Notice of Marriage £35.00 each (£20 per person booking fee to be paid at time of  booking appointment,  this will be deducted from the notice fees.)
Register Office Ceremony, available on Thursdays at 10.00 am only £46.00
Georgian Room Annexe, Monday - Thursday (mornings only)​ £60.00 (payable in advance)
Georgian Room Monday - Thursday £75.00 (payable in advance)
​Georgian Room, Friday ​£100.00 (payable in advance)
Georgian Room, Saturday £185.00 (payable in advance)
Marriage Certificate (after the day and while the register is still current, the fee is £8. After the register has been archived the cost is £11) £4.00


Registrars Fees to attend Approved Venue

Monday to Friday £350.00
Saturday £400.00
Sunday and Bank Holiday £450.00


Luton register office

6 George Street West,
Luton, Bedfordshire,
Tel: 0300 790 0341
Fax: 01582 429522

Approved ceremony venues in Luton district

Luton Town Football Club
1 Maple Road,
01582 411622

Mossman Building,
Stockwood Discovery Centre
London Road
01582 548600

The Chiltern Hotel
Waller Avenue
LU4 9RU    
01582 575911

The Auction House
Crescent Road
LU1 0AH    
01582 732655

Hilton Garden Inn
Great Marlings
Luton LU2 8DL 
01582 435300

Venue 360
20 Gypsy Lane

The Georgian Room
6 George Street West

Luton Town Hall
George Street
0300 790 0341

Hart House Business Centre
Kimpton Road
01582 522427

Crescent Hall Events Venue Ltd
50 Dunstable Road
01582 723386

Register Office Opening Hours (by appointment):

Monday-Friday 9.15am-4.15pm
Saturday ceremonies by appointment
Excluding Bank Holidays

For further information go to the section of that deals with these issues.​​




 Contact information

Luton register office
6 George Street West, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 2BJ
Tel: 0300 790 0341
Fax: 01582 429522

 Related links